(found on the Web and elswhere)
- Ability may take you to the top, but it takes character
to stay there.
- Act as if it were impossible to fail and it will be.
- Actions speak louder than coaches. (Speedo ad)
- After you have done your best-your best may not be
- A little fish in a big pond can get to be a big fish
in that pond, but a big fish in a little pond cannot get any better off.
- Always remember, whatever the goal--keep your eye
- Attitudes are contagious. Are yours worth catching?
- A winner makes committments to a goal, a loser makes
- A team which has become a winner has done so by certain
individuals setting and reaching goals for themselves.
- Attitudes are nothing more than habits of thought...and
habits can be acquired.
- Bad times have a value, these are the times a good
learner would not miss.
- Be consistently persistent. (Dick Hannula)
- "Beir bua le Gaeilge" - Michelle Smith sweat
- Be satisfied with nothing but your best.
- Breastroke is an athletic event, butterfly is a political
statement. (Paul Tsongas 3/20/92)
- Compete to compete.
- Common sense is very uncommon. (Horace Greely.)
- Defeat should never be a source of disappointment,
but rather a fresh stimulus.
- Design a workout that even a fool can use and only
a fool will use it.
- Desire + dedication + direction = Determined Destiny
- Doing a thing nearly right and doing it exactly right
is usually the difference between success and failure.
- Do not be afraid of an honest effort and honest work;
do not be afraid of the truth.
- The surest way to succeed is to not fail.
- Do not dwell on your losses, but concntrate upon the
part of your performance that limited your excellence.
- Don't count the days, make the days count.
- Don't try to make sense out of nonsense.
- Don't let anyone out-train you.
- Education is what you get from reading the fine print.
Experience is what you get from not reading it.
- Everyone's a potential winner. Some people are disguised
as losers though--Don't let their appearance fool you.
- Faith can move mountains, doubt can create them.
- Focus on your strong points when you visualize your
- Failure is often that early morning hour of darkness
that precedes the dawning of the day of success.
- Go hard or go home. (Speedo Ad)
- Hard things are put in our way, not to stop us, but
to call out our courage and strength.
- He who does not hope to win has already lost.
- I did not swim with that woman - Monica Lewinsky (W.J.
- I feel more like I am now than I was before I dived
in (Graffiti on the wall of the Guiness Brewery Pool, Dublin).
- Ideas never work unless you do.
- If you are good, be better.
- If you do not consciously form good habits, you will
unconsciously form bad ones.
- If you give everything your best shot, you will come
out on top no matter what the score.
- If you don't take the time to do it right - will you
have the time to do it over?
- If you love life then do not waste time for that is
what life is made of. (Ben Franklin)
- If the going seems easy, check to see if you are going
- Ink it, don't just think it.
- It's not how far you swim in practice; and its' not
how fast you swim in practice--it's how far you swim fast in practice.
- It's not the best person that wins, it's the best
- It's better to have swum and lost than to never have
swum at all. [or to have played basketball -ge]
- It doesn't take great men to do great things, it takes
concentrated men.(No chauvinism intended.)
- It's what you have left after you give 100%.
- Leadership by example is the most difficult, but also
the most beneficial.
- Learn to love pain.
- Losers let it happen, winners make it happen.
- Life's greatest adventure is in doing one's very best.
- Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
- Never sacrifice a principle for a temporary gain.
- Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude
from achieving his goal, nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong
attitude. (Thomas Jefferson.)
- Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes
off the goal.
- Only those risking to go far will ever know how far
they can go.
- Only a mediocre person is always at his best.
- Practice is 90% physical-10% mental. Championship
meets are 10% physical-90% mental.
- Pride, intense pride, that's what it all comes down
- Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes
- People are generally better persuaded by the reasons
which they themselves
- discovered than by those which have come from others.
- People who feel good about themselves produce good
- Success does not rest. (Original.)
- Speed is the by-product of busting your ass.
- Swim each practice as if it was the most important
practice of the year.
- Swimming is a sport, everything else is just a game.
- Swimming is fun, and today we're going to have lots
a fun (my Aussie coach at 06:00)
- Swimmers who are willing to work out close to racing
speed will ultimately swim faster when it counts.
- Take the best team and the worst team. Line them up
and you would find very little physical difference. You would find an emotional
- The winning team has a dedication--they won't accept
- Take all defeats as temporary setbacks.
- The road to success is always under construction.
- The minute you quit is the moment you fail.
- There is always room at the top.
- The swimmer who says, "It can't be done"
is passed by the swimmer who is doing it.
- The will to win is not nearly so important as the
will to prepare to win.
- The dictionary is the only place where success comes
- The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
- The height of your success is determined by the depth
of your belief.
- The harder your work, the luckier you get.
- The hardest thing about climbing the ladder of success
is getting through the crowd at the bottom.
- The only way to discover the limits of the possible
is to go beyond into the impossible.
- The real test in golf, as in life, is not keeping
out of the rough, but getting out once you are in.
- The swimmer that makes the fewest mistakes wins.
- Think or Thwim
- Trust your hopes, not your fears.
- The key to better swimming, is swimming better.
- There are going to be times when everything succeeds,
but don't worry, it will pass.
- There is a big difference between wanting to and willing
- There is no substitute for hard work and effort beyond
the call of mere duty. That is what strengthens the soul and one's character.
- The majority of failures in life are simply the victims
of their mental defeats.
- That you may fail, is not sufficient reason for not
- Tough times never last, but tough people do.
- We accomplish in proportion to what we attempt.
- We are successful precisely because we formed the
habit of doing things that failures do not like to do.
- What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny
matters compared to what lies within us.
- When you are behind, don't give up; when you are ahead,
don't let up.
- Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
- Why strive for mediocrity?
- Winning isn't everything, but trying to is.
- Winners are workers.
- Winners make goals, losers make excuses.
- A winner solves his problems, but a loser is defeated
- Winning can be defined as the science of being totally
- I define preparation in three words: leave nothing
- Winning is seeing improvement in yourself.
- Work hard -- rest hard.
- Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time
- You don't win once in a while, you don't do things
right once in a while, you do them right all the time.
- Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
- Winners make it happen -- losers let it happen.
- Win or lose, playing at all is winning.
- You can motivate by fear and reward, but these are
temporary. The only lasting thing is self-motivation.
- Yesterday is a canceled check; tomorrow is a promissory
note; today is the only cash you have. Spend it wisely.
- You are never given a wish without also being given
the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it however.
- You can always better your best.
- You can't do anything by doing nothing.
- You create your own luck.
- You get good at what you practice.
- You need to compete for something greater than the
experience of simply winning.
- Your toughest opponent is in the mirror.
Return to Swim Links